Rotating pictures of Beautiful Grandchildren

Rotating pictures of Beautiful Grandchildren
Josh, Colette and Calvin - Christmas Eve 2008

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas on The Compact

Good morning and Merry Christmas. I am having a wonderful Christmas still on the spending "Compact." For those of you who are new to my Blog or have forgotten - it was a pledge I took last January to try to go an entire year without buying anything new (except for food, cosmetics, hand creams etc, medicines, and craft items to handmake things.) I will be writing about the Compact soon as it has been LIFE-CHANGING! First of all - about Christmas. When you can't buy anything new, you get CREATIVE!! I have bought gifts all year at newly-rediscovered Thrift Stores and Good Will. You get a four-fold blessing buying at such stores - first you are using something again (and it did not then get thrown away in a land fill); second, you are blessing whatever charity is benefiting from the store; third someone is getting employment from your purchase and Fourth - You are spending about a 10th or even less then you would have buying it new. I am also sewing again and thoroughly enjoying making gifts. I can't describe the gifts (will do that after Christmas complete with pictures) but I LOVE the feeling of creating something handmade and special for my loved ones! I also love the money savings and knowing that I can truly live (BETTER) on less. My sister just emailed me the following link to a woman who moved her suburban kids to a farm in the middle of nowhere and describes how they are thriving. You will be blessed to read about their progress. http://suzannemcminn.com/blog/2008/12/16/a-homemade-christmas/

2 comments:

MJ Krech said...

Be sure to read the comments by her readers below Suzanne's Handmade Christmas blog. Very inspiring!
--Marcia

Sandy said...

Nice picture of Christian and his family. Eric is home and he enjoyed seeing your site. I'd love to hear your story of how you your rash vows came about. Tea for two? Remember the days?
Sandy
Give everyone up there a Hi from the Jensen's.