Rotating pictures of Beautiful Grandchildren

Rotating pictures of Beautiful Grandchildren
Josh, Colette and Calvin - Christmas Eve 2008

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Random Spiritual Thoughts

Two thoughts from church today:
  • New chorus - entitled I will glory in my Redeemer had the following phrase: .... my life He bought, my love He OWNS. I am still troubled by the use of the word OWNS. I of course believe that He bought my life, but isn't love a choice? SO anyway - I would change the OWNS to DESERVES. What do you think?
  • Sermon Illustration - a guest speaker was speaking on Moses, the burning bush and God's command that Moses remove his shoes. We have read, taught and heard this passage taught many times - but for the first time this speaker had the entire congregation take off our shoes and keep them off. He then had us all stand up. We learned that with your shoes off - standing you are shorter! AND that your feet are exposed to the elements (Cold today in WI) and unprotected. He then had us think about what our shoes represent to us - i.e. when/where we got them, what we have been through wearing them etc. (I had on my favorite boots that Bill bought me on a ski trip to Steamboat Springs since I wasn't skiing! I always think about that special trip when I wear them.) The point of all of this was that we must put that all aside to have an encounter with God. Key lesson - To have an encounter with God - something must change. What do you need to put aside to have an encounter with God today?

5 comments:

MJ Krech said...

Do you think OWNS might just mean IN POSSESSION OF? That might make it a tad easier to live with!

christian said...

I think I am with you on the OWNS part. He bought my salvation and for that he has WON my love. I would go with WON.

As to the shoes...I get his shoe analogy, but it seems rather 21st century to me. Wasn't God's point that Moses was on holy ground? I'm not sure a present day application.

neverlie said...

I figured I would chime in on these if that's alright. In reverse order- I hate to do this, but I pretty much have to agree with Christian about the shoe thing. Its a fun illustration, but it seems to ignore the text for the most part. Moses "encounters" God before he has his shoes off, its only after he meets God that he is required to remove his shoes. That seems to me the preaching point, I guess, you never leave an encounter with God the same way. I really struggle with this sort of reading of Scripture though.

neverlie said...

Onto the praise song- I like your move towards deserves, and I also like Marcia's qualification of "own as possession of." Having said that, the whole chorus seems sketchy to me. I presume that they don't literally mean bought and own (Who exactly did Jesus have this transaction with? Did he pay with cash? Did he get a receipt?)but have imported a metaphor that is supposed to clear up something of the relationship between Jesus and us. The consumeristic language of the metaphor doesn't clear up anything though, and I suspect just continues to fuel our strange understandings of atonement and sanctification. I think you were 100% right to have your radar up on this song, but I suspect that the problem is a bit more systemic than you may have initially thought.

Rash Vows and Beautiful Grandchildren said...

Thank you all for your comments. I love being to dialogue with you all even though we live so far apart. Thanks for your honesty.