Rotating pictures of Beautiful Grandchildren

Rotating pictures of Beautiful Grandchildren
Josh, Colette and Calvin - Christmas Eve 2008

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Political thoughts

I have been rereading Randy Alcorn's books Deadline, Dominion and Deception (wonderful books and highly recommended.) In light of my considering voting for Obama because I like him and I think it is high time that we have an African-American president - I found this in Dominion. I would like any of my 2 or 3 readers to comment on this - it seems right on to me - but as Greg and Christian were talking on Christian's blog recently - we come at things from a white, sububan life but are trying to be Christ-followers. To do that first we need to understand. So read, think and give me your thoughts. To set the context, a conservative black reporter is talking to a black pastor (who then responds.) It also may be relevant that this book was written in1996 (but has anything really changed?):

"Here's one my wife and I have talked about a lot. Politics. White evangelicals tend to be Republican because they're concerned about biblical and family values and morality, and they're pro-life. Black evangelicals are heavily Democratic, maybe because in recent decades Democrats have been more sensitive to issues of social justice, racial equality, and concern for the poor. Now I happen to be concerned about all these issues, but I think that Democratic policies and programs have hurt the black community. I think it's safe to say that at your church, the members are mostly Democrats, right? I admit, that bothers me, especially on the abortion issue. I care a lot about those suffering children."

"In my experience" Pastor Clancy said, "Republicans tend to be more wise and less caring, and Democrats tend to be more caring but less wise. But both parties fall way short. You mentioned abortion. I know white evangelicals who can't understand why so many of their black brethren seem unconcerned about abortion. Likewise, black evangelicals can't understand why so many whites are unconcerned about poverty, drugs, crime, racism, and ther deterioration of urban America. And why they seem to be doing so little to improve education, employment, housing, medical care, you name it. .... To black Christians, yes, abortion should be on our list of concerns. But it has to take a number, considering everything else we've got to deal with. White churches are concerned about abortion and homosexuals and feminism. We're concerned about gangs, and drugs and AIDS and homelessness and jobs."

8 comments:

neverlie said...

Christian can probably speak more into this than me, but that dichotomy seems to be accurate, at least historically. The other issue is money, and the general sense in politics that wealth votes Republican and poverty votes Democrat. This also historically breaks down racially. The pieces that are problematic to me are what are considered moral issues. Things like abortion and homosexual marriage are "moral," but questions of justice, racial equality and poverty are not? I think there is a sea change amongst evangelicals (particularly white) in this election that recognizes the moral concerns of loving our neighbors. My favorite part of this primary season is the complete lack of influence that the religious right has had. There's more here, but I need to think through it a bit more.

Rash Vows and Beautiful Grandchildren said...

I couldn't agree more and I really appreciate your characterizing justice, racial equality and poverty as MORAL issues. It seems biblical to be concerned with those issues and many churches are trying to have some impact of homelessness, lack of adequate food and health care for all, and other social issues. I find myself turned off by both parties but still trying to be involved as part of my seriousness of following Christ.

neverlie said...

Alright, so I have posted on this a bit on my blog. Be warned ahead of time that many may find this to be troublesome. I think though you may find it a bit freeing.

Rash Vows and Beautiful Grandchildren said...

Greg - thank you so much for the discussion that has been started on your blog. You are correct - it is a freeing concept. For my small audience - go to Greg's blog for an interesting discussion.

christian said...

A few randomly generated thoughts...

Your book (which I read) summarizes it pretty well- along with the dillema for those of us who feel like all those issues should matter.

It is amazing though to hear the venom city people have for Bush and then to hear the ABSURDLY uninformed or misinformed reasons for their hatred. It's America so you can hate the president, but you should at least know why you hate him and that your reasons for such disdain are rooted in reality, not just because Kayne West said, "George Bush hates black people."

I have been around a good amount of AA who are part of a small "movement" to see abortion moved to the forefront of AA issues.

It is clearly a cultural issue (not universal though) for letting politicians use your pulpit during political seasons.

I do think that the American church (on both sides of the political coin) puts too much "faith" in our government and what could happen should their candidate get into the White House.

God help us.

Amy said...

Politicians are what they are, and we'll never be completely satisfied. But we have to keep pushing them to do what is right.

I cannot heal a man by laying my hands on him, but I would if I could.

By voting, I am laying my hands on the entire world in one of the few ways that I as a suburban American can.

The people we vote for make decisions and take action that affect us individually, societally and globally.

War is wrong. Violence is wrong. Poverty is wrong. Inaction is wrong.

Laura, I encourage you to vote for Obama.

Sarah said...

I am very surprised to hear you are considering voting for Obama. I'd love to hear specifically why you like him.

MJ Krech said...

I'm surprised, too, Say. Your dad and I are also considering Obama. We wonder if it isn't time for America to put on a minority "face" when it deals with the world. We've heard too many almost first-hand things about McCain that really give us pause.

Greg-Your thoughts are a bit "out there" for me, but I do admire your deep thinking. Thoughtfulness--not manners in this case--is something I've always been "plagued" with. People sometimes tell me I think too much. That's who I am, though. You redefine deep thinking, Greg, and to me that's a VERY GOOD thing. Keep it up! And keep sharing your thoughts. I'm listening....