Rotating pictures of Beautiful Grandchildren

Rotating pictures of Beautiful Grandchildren
Josh, Colette and Calvin - Christmas Eve 2008

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Prejudice in the Northwoods

I had a strange thing happen on the way to the Physical Therapist's office at the end of last week. I was on the elevator and a couple entered and rode down to the basement floor with me. They looked like they were in their 60's and to my prejudiced mind - the classic northwoods couple. She had on an old Tweety Bird Sweatshirt, dirty hair and about the worst teeth I have seen in years. He had on a dirty sweatshirt, ball cap and large beer belly. I politely said hello and got off the elevator. About 5 minutes after me they made it the same office. As I was struggling with my own attitudes, the man started to complain that the office shouldn't be closed over the noon hour (there was a little sign stating that the receptionist was out from 12:30 to 1:00.) They were an hour early for their 2:00 appointment. Then he started complaining about too many holidays off in the US. He said it must be a "Jewish Holiday." This really offended me but I did not know what to say. He just kept complaining about not wanting to wait and basically showed his own unhappiness. I then was called into my appointment. I would love some feedback if there was something I could have said to let him know that his comment was offensive - OR was my view of him just as offensive?

4 comments:

MJ Krech said...

You absolutely did the right thing by not saying anything. We are supposed to love no matter what. Any way you tried to put your opinion out there, however, lovingly, would have been interpreted badly by this couple. I find these situations very difficult to live through but saying and doing nothing is the right thing to do! Way to go for holding your tongue!

neverlie said...

I think Marcia is probably right, if you could not respond to the comment in love than it was probably better not to respond. Also, I like your instincts to question your own prejudices and heart. Having said that, it would be interesting to know what would have happened had you confessed your judging of them, something like, "Hi, I am a Christian, and I am called to love my neighbors, and I have to confess that I have not done a good job of that with you guys. I am sorry, I judged you before I even met you, and I assumed the worst about you. Please pray for me as I work on this." Then you could go about your business. I don't think I have the courage to do that, but I do think it would be amazing to speak the truth that way and see how the Holy Spirit worked. I love the blog by the way.

greg

Anonymous said...

How about: "No, I work for a Jewish carpenter, and He's at work today".

christian said...

Tricky one. I would have probably muffled a laugh at the ridiculous-ness of the statement. (Incidentally, it made me remember all the days off of school Jesse Sondell used to get for Jewish holidays!)

Beyond that I would have probably walked to the corner and read a magazine. On a good day I'd like to believe that I would interrupt by the third offensive statement, maybe.